What is cloud computing?
Traditionally, everybody stored their data and programs on a hard drive. Today, as the new alternative, cloud computing allows individuals and companies to store and access data and programs over the Internet.
The cloud is therefore basically a metaphor for the Internet.
Benefits of the cloud
- Prevention of data loss due to hardware failures or staff leaving the employ of a company.
- Cloud storage remains one of the safest ways to store your data because encryption methods utilise complex algorithms to conceal cloud-protected information. In fact, cloud services utilise more complex security methods than the average computer owner is able to devise.
- Utilises remote resources:
- saves organisations the cost of servers and other equipment and IT infrastructure.
- remote maintenance and backup (no need for costly on-site IT call-outs).